Church/Monastery in Aitolo-Akarnania


Today it is peaceful among running water, sycamores, pines and plane trees, but the 17th century Monastery of Saint Simeon played a crucial role in the Greek War of Independence, when 1,800 people from besieged Mesolongi sought refuge within the Monastery's walls.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Dating from the 10 century AD, the 'Hanging Monastery of Saint Nicholas' in Arakinthos lies within two caves in a cliff and features amazing religious paintings in Cappadocian style. Photo: wikigogo
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
A small and very old church, in a lonely field, this Byzantine building is set among trees and overlooks a gorgeous valley.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
In the village of Agia Sofia, the Agios Nikolaos church is built on the remains of the temple of Artemis, representing once again how the Byzantine church supplanted more ancient religions.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
In the village of Megadendro where Agios Kosmas of Aetolia was born, there is a church in the name of this venerable local saint who actually played a role in the Greek Revolution.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Here's another church related to the history and sortie or exodus of Mesolongi. Blessed by the town's patron saint, Agios Spyridon, the church is where every year a parade marking the exodus begins to celebrate those who succeed in escaping. The parade continues to the Garden of the Heroes.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
In addition to an intricate iconostatis from the 18th century, this church in Aitoliko is home to the tomb of Kyra Vasiliki, the influencial Greek wife of Ali Pasha, powerful Ottoman ruler from Epirus. Photo: Elias
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
The Church of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary in Amvrakia, which lies in the municipality of Amfilohia, is a post-byzantine church that has been nicely renovated.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Paying tribute to Agios Ioannis (St. John) of Rigana, this impressive Byzantine temple from the 14th century AD was built over another paleo-Christian Basilica. It was undoubtedly an important church. Photo:agrinioculture
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
The early-Christian church of Kimisi tis Theotokou – known in English as the Dormition of The Virgin Mary – is considered one of the landmark churches in the city of Agrinio.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Near Agrinio, the southern entrance of the Klisoura gorge or canyon boasts the rock-hewn monastery of Agia Eleousa. This is where Yiannis Gounaris, the hero who saved Mesolongi during its first siege by the Ottomans, lived in seclusion. Above the monastery, the water has sculpted the image of the virgin and a lamb.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Near Thermo the centuries-old Monastery of Myrtia was established in 1491, named for all the myrtle trees that grow around it. Two churches from older times are found within the monastery, with well-preserved frescoes and a small bell from 1713.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
A Byzantine Monastery in Angelokastro, renovated in 1746. There used to be a chapel of Agios Charalambos in the past in its place and now it is a small chapel dedicated to the saint. To honor him on his name day(February 10), the locals celebrate with a feast.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
The village of Karaiskakis with roots embedded in the Greek Revolution is home to the Moanstery of Profitis Ilias, dating from the 15th century.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Agia Triada in Kleisova, Agios Sostis on the island by the same name near the Vasiladiou lighthouse and the Virgin of Prokopanistou built on a small island in the middle of the lagoon.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Saint Christopher (Agios Christoforos) is the patron-saint and protector of Agrinio. The old Church of St. Christopher was founded in 1847 and the new one founded in 1920. A.D. Every Wednesday evening the supplicatory services to the Virgin Mary are held, and alternating chants to St. Christopher and St. Nektarios.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Situated 10km northeast of Nafpaktos, this catholic monastery is of great architectural, sculptural and painting interest. It has a variety of colours and expressive portraits, one of the most important works of art of the 17th century. It was built in 1695 on the foundations of an old temple by order of king Otto.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Historically significant, the modest church of Panagia tis Finikias lies not far from the lagoon and on the way to Etoliko. It was a favourite resting place for Lord Byron who resided in the prefecture.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Ambelakiotissa houses a monastery with a famous icon adorned with gold which disappeared and was found in the woods during the Ottoman occupation in the 15th century. The monastery's other treasure is the forearm of St Polycarp of Smyrna, also covered in gold.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
The Monastery of the Assumption of the Virgin in Varnakova, Dorida, was established by monk Arsenios in 1077 AC in the era of Patriarch Kosmas. The graves of the Byzantine Komninos family lie in the Monastery. Its library is rich including Athanasios Diakos’ manuscript, calling on Greeks to rise up in 1821.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Other Activities for Aitolo-Akarnania
Share:
Tools:

Discover Greece by prefecture

Social
Media